Thanks everyone for all of your encouraging comments on my last post. Despite the epic failure that was Home Goals 2013, I still have plans floating around in my head and ambitions for 2014, so I’ve decided to get them out of my brain and onto
Of course, I still want to accomplish everything that was on my list for Home Goals 2013, so I have to include them. However, I’m going to reorder the list. (Like that’ll make a difference.)
I considered including “current state” photos to
shame motivate me to action, but then I didn’t think that was very encouraging, so I’m going with inspirational shots as I did last year.
- Main floor hallway
As I mentioned in my last post, prep for painting the hallway and kitchen has already been completed. I just have to choose a colour and pick up a brush. I’m leaning towards Benjamin Moore’s popular Abalone pictured above.
I’m not putting the living room on this list even though it was there last year because, really, what’s the point in painting if we’re only going to mess it all up when we redo the fireplace? The dining room is adjacent/attached to the living room, so it can wait too.
2. Laundry room.
Same to-do list as last year:
- Fix the leaky foundation wall
- DIY a fun light fixture
- Build a drying rack
With a few additions:
- Level the washing machine
- Freshen up the cabinets
- Build a new hanging rack
- Find/build a free-standing cabinet for the hallway to the laundry room.
Yeah, that’s smart. Make the project that I couldn’t accomplish last year even more complicated for this year.
3. Master bedroom. Ooh, look! A new to-do!
- Remove popcorn ceiling
- Buy a queen size bed
- DIY a headboard
- Relocate light switch
- Replace light fixture
- Make/find window treatments
- Paint dresser and replace hardware
- Refresh dinged up closet doors
- Decorate and personalize a little bit
4. Furniture. Another new to-do.
I’d like to make/find a few pieces of furniture:
- Refresh bookshelves and living room TV stand with new trim and paint
- Coffee table for the living room
- Sofa table for the living room
- Hutch/cabinetry/built-ins for dining room
- Narrow dresser for my office
- Hutch for my office
- Cabinet for the laundry room.
5. Living room fireplace. Yes, hope springs eternal.
- Replace the woodstove-esque insert with an open hearth one
- Reface with fieldstone
- Put up a new rustic wood mantle
Please? Can this happen this year?
I don’t think this to-do is ever going to go away. Perhaps I’ll get some professional help this spring.
- Reestablish the flowerbeds around the house
- Plant grass seed where old firepits were and clean up the detritus that’s still hanging around
- Tidy the east shore of the pond and build a new firepit near the water
- Continue to plant the turnaround
- Put in a vegetable garden (yup, that’s a new one)
- Continue with the landscaping master list
Aaaand I think that’s enough. Here’s hoping I do better at crossing a few of these things off this year than I did last year.