At the start of the week you saw my attempt at a new light fixture for the foyer.
In the comments, you agreed with my feelings that my DIY fixture wasn’t quite right for the space.
Here are two of the other lights I’m considering as replacements.
The first is this hexagonal fixture. It’s a slightly updated version of the chandelier I bought at the thrift store.
- The design and the shape are a bit unique. I’ve not seen many fixtures like this around.
- It’s the right size and height for the foyer.
- It has three bulbs, so it should cast a decent amount of light.
- The metal is black, and the other lights on our main floor are oil rubbed bronze. I’d rather not mix my metal tones in this space, and I don’t think this piece can be painted easily.
Here’s my second option. I’d been considering a lantern-esque fixture, and this one is an attractive option.
- The metal on this light is antique bronze, which is closer to the ORB of our other fixtures.
- The lantern design feels a little bit country to me, perfect for a farm.
- I’m concerned this fixture might be a bit too small to carry the whole foyer.
- With only two bulbs, it won’t shed as much light as the first fixture or my DIY option.
I have a hard time spending more than $100 on light fixtures (I know, I know, I’m super cheap), and both of these options come in right around this price point.
Let’s put it to a vote.
Please feel free to suggest another option, if you’ve seen something that you think would work better.
Does anyone else struggle with finding good lighting? How do you feel about mixing metals?
I like the first one a lot. I don’t think the mixed metal tones will be that obvious if they are not beside each other. I like the shape and size of the first one. The second one looks like it will be too small and looks more like an outdoor porch light.
Thanks for your input, Meghan. You’re saying everything I want to hear!
I agree with Meghan!
I like the bones of the DIY light – how about buying or rebuilding the drum shade? You’re so close!
What do you think the drum shade needs? Bigger? A lining?
I also think the DIY fixture is really close. I like the creamy colour of the shade, and the way you can see the bottom of the fixture from the side, though not so much the straight up view from underneath. I do like the shade in the hallway, though, I think more than either of the above fixtures. 🙂
Thanks for your input. I think you’re encouraging me to try to make it work.