Not to alarm anyone, but we’re halfway through the year. (Sorry. Tempus fugit.)
It’s been nearly six months since I posted my home goals for 2014. Time for a mid-year performance review.
I had six projects on my list. Here’s how I’ve done so far.
1. Paint the main floor hallway and kitchen.
Big fat done on task number one. Matt and I knocked this one out in February.
2. Laundry room.
I haven’t started this one yet. I figure it will be a good fall project when I don’t want to/can’t work outside anymore. Besides, I can’t start anything until Matt digs out the foundation wall and fixes the basement leak. Hello summer honey-do list.
3. Master bedroom.
For the most part, this is another fall project. However, prep starts this month with removing the popcorn ceiling.
I’ve done fairly well in this department.
- Sofa table for the living room. Found this one in an empty office at work (I asked permission before I took it).
- Narrow dresser for my office. DIYed this one out of two nightstands.
- Cabinet for the laundry room. Bought this one from Canadian Tire. (There was some DIY, since we had to assemble it ourselves).
- Ottoman for the basement reading nook. Made this one out of a plastic barrel.
I have a few more pieces that I’m still on the lookout to buy or make. Top on the list is refreshing my bookshelves and the living room TV stand. My books have been packed away for more than two years. I want them back.
5. Living room fireplace.
Hope still springs eternal. The fireplace will be redone some day. Whether that day is this year depends solely on how much we’re able to rebuild our post-solar bank accounts.
- Reestablish the flowerbeds around the house. I’m slowly, ever so slowly, working my way around the house.
- Continue to plant the turnaround. The turnaround is looking awesome, albeit a bit weedy.
The pond shore is even more overgrown than last year and is pretty much inaccessible. Since this is my favourite part of the property, that is a bit of a downer. I’m willing to cut my losses on the pond this year, but I’m still hoping I’ll be able to clear and fence the vegetable garden before the end of the year.
And that brings us to the bottom of this year’s original goals.
However, there are a few things we’ve done beyond this list.
Obviously, the solar panels are a pretty massive project.
I’ve had a bit more success this year staying on task thanks to the monthly projects. Thanks as well to all of you for your encouragement along the way. It’s nice to look back and see that I’ve actually made some progress. We have half a year to go, and I have a bit more work to do yet, but I think I’m on the right track.
Have you ever given yourself a mid-year performance review? Who else feels like time is flying by? Is there anything you’d like to accomplish over the rest of the year?