Progress picked up over the last week in the master bedroom makeover for the One Room Challenge. Mostly because for at least some of the time my workforce tripled.
Saturday morning, my parents showed up, wallpaper tools in hand. They were there to help me cover our severely beat up closet doors.
Here’s a summary of the projects so far in the master bedroom:
- Not quite masters of our universe
- Master bedroom makeover plans
- Scraping the stipple ceiling
- Painting the walls
- Master bedroom move-in
- One Room Challenge Week 1
- One Room Challenge Week 2
- One Room Challenge Week 3
The One Room Challenge has been hugely helpful in getting this makeover moving after my motivation waned. The room is coming together. Which brings us to this week’s task: the closet doors.
The doors appear to have had a number of things taped to them in the past. When the tape was pulled off, so was the finish on the doors.
My decorating philosophy at the farm is every room needs touch of something rustic. This bedroom is not at all rustic, but a touch of country would be appropriate.
Beadboard wallpaper would work.
I have never installed wallpaper. I’ve removed a lot of it, but never gone the opposite direction. I figured I’d need an extra pair of hands, so I decided to make sure the hands were experienced and called in my parents.
As she was brushing the paste onto the closet doors, my Mom recalled hanging grasscloth wallpaper in their first house in the late 1970s–on trend 35 years ago and on trend today.
She also recalled cherry wood beadboard lining the stairwell at the farm where she spent summers when she was growing up. Doesn’t that sound beautiful? This wallpaper is not quite the same, but it’s a good shortcut in my opinion.
The wallpaper went up really quickly, especially with three of us working on it. (As you can see, Baxter was his usual helpful self). In less than two hours, the doors were all covered.
Even though they were white-ish before, the wallpaper makes such a huge difference. The room looks so much fresher. And the vertical stripes make the doors look wider too in my opinion.
It’s been awhile since my parents and I have worked together. It was really nice to have their help. Thanks, Mom and Dad!
I’ve been working on my own for the rest of this week, but I’ve still been productive. The headboard is almost finished–good thing because I need to get it out of the guest room so my brother-in-law can sleep there this weekend–and the electrician is here today to work on the lighting. We’re getting there!
Buy a new bed– Done Remove popcorn ceiling– Done Patch ceiling and walls– Done Paint ceiling, trim, doors and walls– Done Make/find window treatments– Done Build hookboards for behind the door– Done Paint dresser and replace hardware– Done April 6
- DIY a headboard – By April
12 1924 Refresh dinged up closet doors – By April 19Done April 18
- Relocate light switch – Cross your fingers that the electrician doesn’t run into any problems today
- Replace light fixture – I’ll get the electrician to do this while he’s here
- Come up with a jewelry storage solution – By April 26
- Sew a bedskirt – By May 3
- Decorate and personalize –
Ordered prints April 6. I’m still waiting for them to arrive. Come on postal service!
Only two weeks to go. Visit Calling it Home and cheer on the other participants as they head into the homestretch on the One Room Challenge.