Ahhh. A three-day weekend. What a nice treat in the middle of winter. Matt’s working on his goal of not leaving the property all weekend. And I’m taking it easy with a quick list of the odds and sods that have been happening recently.
- I got to watch my 22-month old nephew “play soccer.” Lesson learned: there’s no way to get a clear picture of a toddler playing soccer.
- Temperatures have been hovering around the -20ºC mark. And that’s just the temperature. The windchill makes it extra frigid.
- I braved Ikea on Saturday. Thanks to the temperature, a lot of people opted to hibernate instead of shop, so it wasn’t the usual madhouse. I came out–in less than a hour!–with all of the hardware for the guest room curtains, two new pillows for our bed (finally upgraded to king size pillows to match the king size mattress), and my usual–a handful of picture frames.
- Due to the temperature, Bax is having many quick outings rather than any long hikes. We’re supplementing with indoor fetch and tag. Our girl Ralph doesn’t seem to notice the cold. Matt picked burrs out of her tail, so we know she’s venturing outside the barn. A cat we’ve not seen before was hanging out in the barn a few mornings ago, so someone’s obviously feeling the cold.
- The non-feline family members are focusing on indoor sports including painting a few items for the guest room, baking a fudgy cake for Valentine’s Day, napping fireside, watching some TV and movies (this one, this one and this one were interesting. I was really keen on this one, but I ended up falling asleep on the couch.)
- My brother and I are sharing custody of my Dad’s router. After a bit of fiddling, I remembered how to use it and made some good progress on an art project for the basement. Adam, you can have the router back now.
And of course there’s been a bit of romance in there–Valentine’s Day! And some more family time yet to come–Family Day!
How was your weekend? What did you get up to?
I LOVE Ikea!!!! Our closest one is near Chicago which is about 4 hours away! They are supposed to open one near Indianapolis next year (about 1.5 hours away) and I a can’t wait!
I had a short weekend, I had to work Saturday and again today. I spent yesterday deep cleaning the kitchen (refrigerator, microwave, under the sink…) not the most romantic of Valentine’s days! 😉 But I did rewatch The Notebook so I did get a little sappy! hahaha
That’s not much of a weekend–or a Valentine’s Day–at all!
Sounds like a lovely weekend! Our plans were thwarted because Sharon is really sick, but we have been having huge amounts of fun with our little grandson, who’s just back from six months away. I spent Monday morning in the forest in the pouring rain splashing through puddles and looking at worms. It was great!
PS – that cake looks delicious!!
Give my best to Sharon. I’ve been fighting colds and other ailments since January, so I know what she’s going through.
P.S. It was!