I so wish I could say, “We have doors!” in this garage/mudroom update. But all I have to keep it singular. After waiting four months for the doors to arrive, we have to wait a bit more.
Our contractor came with the doors last week. But, the door between the mudroom and garage was wrong. Argh.
It swung the wrong way.
Going all the way back to my initial scribbles, I always had the door swinging into the garage and toward the back wall. Our official blueprints show this configuration. Our contractors and I also discussed the door swings a couple of times.
The door that showed up last week swung into the garage but toward the front. That meant that I’d have to walk around the door every time I wanted to go in or out of the garage.
I’m not willing to compromise, so our contractor scrambled to find a fix.
I’ve been told the right door should arrive this week. However, after a four-month wait for a 6-8 week order, I’m not entirely confident.
On the topic of doors we do have some things to celebrate though.
The garage doors are in (this happened a couple of weeks ago). I’m happy with the simple profile I chose, and best of all, I’m happy with how the colour looks with our board and batten siding. Phew. We are still waiting on the decorative handles and hinges to give them a carriage house look.
The person door that was correct is beautiful. This door leads from the mudroom directly outside. I chose to have a big window in this door, and I’m so glad that I did. The view through the glass and the light coming into the mudroom is better than I hoped.
I’m thinking it’s going to even more lovely once it’s a deep smokey blue-green.
The other high point of the week is that the contractor finished all of the trim in the mudroom (aside from the casing for the missing door).
I chose to use the same baseboard that we used in the basement. Ultimately, I’d like to change all of the baseboards upstairs to this trim.
Rather than going with the matching profile for the door casing, I decided to use a simple flat stock instead. With the panelled walls, I felt like trim would be too busy for me–even though the basement casing is very simple. I asked for a butt joint with a little overhang on the top piece, which appears a bit rustic to me.
Some more flatstock finished off the top of the walls where they meet the cedar plank ceiling.
The room is looking so much more finished. Just ignore the sheet of plywood over the one doorway.